Tarte Tatin

7/23/11

Bistek Tagalog

My Mom, who's a fantastic cook, used to make this a lot when I was growing up, and it's one of my favorite comfort foods. It's very easy to make, especially if you use a tender cut of beef (I like to use rib-eye) which won't require long cooking. I try not to over-caramelize the onion rings, to leave a bit of crunch in every bite. Serve with plenty of hot steamed rice! (Since fresh kalamansi juice is not available in most parts of the U.S., try substituting equal parts of lemon and lime juice -- a great suggestion from my daughter, Patricia.)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. beef (rib-eye or sirloin), sliced into thin medium pieces
1 tablespoon kalamansi juice (or lemon juice)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons canola oil, for frying
1 large onion, sliced into rings
Slurry (1 teaspoon cornstarch diluted in a tablespoon of water)

Directions:
Combine the kalamansi/lemon juice, soy sauce, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Marinate the beef slices in the mixture for at least an hour. Remove the beef pieces into a bowl and set aside the marinade.

Heat the oil, and pan-fry the beef slices on both sides until nicely browned; set aside.

In the same pan, sauté the onions briefly in the remaining oil, until a bit browned but still crispy; remove the onions from pan and set aside. Pour the marinade into the pan and bring to a simmer; season to taste with salt and pepper (and more lemon juice or soy sauce, if desired).

Lower the heat; add the cornstarch mixture a bit at a time until you get the desired thickness. Stir in the beef slices and coat with the sauce.

Serve with the onion slices on top (with lots of steamed rice!). Serves 6.

6 comments:

  1. This is my son's favorate. He doesn't eat many Filipino food except this. However, I cook it in much simplier way, mainly lemon (or kalamansi, canola oil and soy sauce, onion ring. Depending on the type of meat(reasonably priced good quality steak... normally sale of the day).. but the result was more of hit or miss because I am the type of cook who seldom follow a recipe (just based on my gut feel).. but this one looks perfect... I will follow and stick to your recipe when my son visits me on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that a mixture of equal parts lemon and lime is a great substitute for kalamansi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
    App Shipping Bar Master
    Shipping Bar for Shopify
    autoketing.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering why you can write this article so well, I think people should take the time to read it carefully, thanks for posting it.
    friv 4 school 2017 free games, abcya club games boys, friv 2018 for school

    ReplyDelete

  5. food games online
    basketball free game
    soccer games free
    The article gives me a lot of useful information, I think it is very necessary for everyone, hope that more people will know your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Its really amazing article, I have got much clear idea concerning from this article. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m now not positive whether this post is written by way of him as nobody else recognize such exact about my problem.
    2player game online
    io jogos gratis
    free online juegos games

    ReplyDelete