Tarte Tatin

9/16/11

Anchovy & Mustard Vinaigrette (Plus Two Vegetable Greens)


This is my favorite vinaigrette because I just love anchovies. I like using flavored wine vinegars, and for this one I used a pomegranate red wine vinegar. I also like using sherry and champagne vinegars for my salads. The recipe below makes about 1 cup -- save the left-over in a lidded jar and it will keep in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks, so next time you want to whip up a quick salad, just give it a shake or a quick whisk and you're good to go. I have included below photographs of my two favorite salad greens, which I dressed with this vinaigrette, and after this, I will post the two seafood salads that I made from these greens and this dressing.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons red-wine vinegar (or your favorite flavored vinegar)
2-3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2-3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
2-3 anchovy fillets, chopped coarsely
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Whisk all the ingredients vigorously until emulsified; save left-over vinaigrette in a lidded jar and refrigerate till next use. Just keep in mind when seasoning with salt that the anchovies already add a bit of saltiness, so taste, taste, taste, until your taste buds tell you it's ok.


P.S.  Two of my favorite salad greens are mache rosettes and watercress (see photos below). Mache is still little known but is becoming more widely available in supermarkets (especially Whole Foods). It is also known as lamb lettuce, has a mild taste, and is normally used in salads.  





Watercress is more popular;it has a wonderful peppery taste and is quite versatile--it is often used not only in salads, sandwiches, and garnishes, but it can also be cooked and made into a delicious soup. What is most interesting, however, is that a recent scientific study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that regular consumption of watercress can help stop cancer from developing--watercress is apparently loaded with antioxidant vitamins beta-carotene and vitamin C.



1 comment: