Tarte Tatin

11/15/11

Fig & Olive Restaurant, New York City

Fig and Olive - Fifth Avenue
10 East 52nd Street
New York, NY 18079
Tel. 212-319-2002
November 8, 2011/Lunch

It was the day after my son’s concert (“Suites by Sondheim” at the Lincoln Center, November 7, 2011), and some family friends from D.C. who came to see the show joined us for lunch at this wonderful Mediterranean restaurant in New York City.  As their website says, the Fig & Olive's signature dishes embody Executive Chef Pascal Lorange's passion for the best olive oils and cuisines from the Mediterranean region. And, as to be expected, olive oil was ubiquitous on the menu. I loved this place – the service was cheerful and super efficient, the ambience very bright but relaxed, and all the dishes we sampled were exemplary (great plating too!).

The freshly baked Olive Oil Fugasse Bread (with rosemary) came with 3 different olive oils -- 2 from Spain and 1 from Australia -- all 3 tasted superb, and we polished off that bread (and the oils) in no time.

We ordered two carpaccio appetizers to share, the Beef Carpaccio ($14) and Zucchini Carpaccio ($12). The zucchini was finished with Picholine Olive Oil, lemon pine nut, and Parmesan cheese; the beef was filet mignon bathed in 18-year old balsamic vinegar and Truffle Olive Oil, and served with baby arugula, tomato, and Parmesan Cheese. Both were so good I could have had just them for my meal.

Two people in the group ordered soups (both $9)--the Cote d’Azur Fish Soup (left photo above;) was a traditional fish soup from the South of France served with garlic saffron aioli and olive oil crackers. The Provencal Carrot & Thyme Soup (on the right) had carrot, celery, onion, garlic, micro basil, thyme, cumin olive oil crouton, and Cilantro Olive Oil. . I had a taste of the latter and it was light and refreshing; the other soup did not disappoint either.

All in all, an excellent start to our meal, and a promising preview of what was to come.
Pumpkin Sage Ravioli ($24), a house-made sage ravioli with free-range chicken, pumpkin olive oil emulsion, roasted pumpkin seeds, Parmesan cheese, aged balsamic vinegar, and Frantoio Olive Oil. Bob said they were really good, and looking at how there were only 3 ravioli on the plate, I'm sure he was secretly wishing for just a little bit more!
Penne Funghi Tartuffo with Chicken ($25) -- penne pasta with two kinds of mushrooms, cremini and black trumpet, with Parmesan cheese, parsley, scallion and white truffle olive oil. Jose had this (left photo below), and Lyndsey had the same one but without the chicken ($18; right photo below). I made sure to taste the dish (so I could say something about it in this blog!), and it was excellent, light and filling at the same time, if you can imagine that.

Kate and I had the same dish, the Grilled Steak Skewers & Couscous ($26 )-- the steak pieces were in rosemary skewers (nice touch) together with red bell peppers, and laid out on a soft bed of Greek yogurt and drizzled with honey; the couscous was nicely flavored with figs, red onion, scallion, tomato, and Koroneiki Olive Oil. The steak was a tad too well done for my taste (I like my steak medium), but I did not complain because all the good flavors were there, and I loved the couscous, which completed the tableau perfectly. Ian had the Salmon a la Andalucia ($29), a perfectly seared organic salmon served with a small salad of zucchini, fennel, tomato, chickpeas, verdial olive, fresh oregano, garlic, lemon and Picual Olive Oil.

[More to come]

10 comments:

  1. Mope.io was enjoyed millions of times on desktop, and is now OFFICIALLY on Android! Start as a tiny mouse, in world of dangerous animals- except, these animals are other players! Forage for food, avoid getting eaten, and progress up the food chain. Learn the abilities of each animal, and go on the HUNT. The more powerful you become, the more players you can attack! Mopeio is a ton of fun, give it a try! research-strategy-native-ad-success

    ReplyDelete
  2. ery informative claim! There is lots of insinuation right here that could formerly any scenario earnings began further to a wealthy social networking conscious up opinion. 2018 automaketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really appreciate you sharing this article post.Much thanks again. Much obliged.I am so grateful for your blog. Great! currency converter app download
    currency converter box online

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are very interesting. I really like them. I hope you can upload more and more.The articles bring many tips and lessons which are very useful. It's worth spending time reading them.
    sales pop master
    pop sales online
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very interested in the post, it helps me gather a lot of necessary information, I think they will help my life, thanks for posting it, hope that people will visit it often , thank you
    Product discount master, Product discount app, best autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get enough of your posts. They are exactly what I need. I often read them to get the information. I learn some lessons from the articles. If you can write posts frequently, that will be awesome. Thanks for giving tips and interesting pieces of information
    email with love, email app download, autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I accidentally saw your post and it attracted me from the first few seconds, it was excellent, hope you have more successful posts.
    happy wheels good for trying, world craft 2 enjoyable game, apple shooter good games for kids

    ReplyDelete

  8. play food games
    basketball game
    soccer games play
    Anyone who reads this post will find it great, me too, I will continue to follow your posts. It's great, wish you success in the next blog, this is a post that we all should read at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jogos io gratis
    friv free online juegos
    2 player games for boy
    Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Elsa and Rapunzel Back To School free games
    play CHEAP GOLF games
    The Champions 4 online games
    I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete