Tarte Tatin

10/18/11

Fried Vegetable & Meat Lumpia (Eggrolls)

Lumpia (eggroll) is a wonderful Filipino food beloved by all back home in the Philippines, and it's one of the three most well-known Filipino dishes outside the country (the other two are, arguably, adobo (vinegar-braised meat) and pancit (noodles)). This can be a challenging dish for the uninitiated, and if you've never rolled an eggroll before, you are going to need some practice to make perfectly tight rolls like the ones you see in the photo above. A loosely-wrapped lumpia will not survive the frying -- it will open up and spew out the filling. There are several different kinds of lumpia, and the list is too long to include in this headnote; I'll test a few of them in the near future and post them here. 
I like making a good amount of the filling, and then freeze the left-over for future meals (and if I'm feeling a bit lazy, I don't even bother to make the rolls--I just re-heat the filling and put it on top of some steaming rice -- yum!).

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced small
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
3 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
½ cup good white wine
1 cup chicken stock (you may not use the whole cup)
1 large carrot, diced medium
2 celery stalks, diced medium
1 small turnip, peeled and grated
1 medium cabbage, sliced into small strips (remove the hard ribs)
2 cups diced green beans
5-6 cups bean sprouts, washed and picked over
3 scallions, chopped small
1 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
20-30 eggroll wrappers
2 cups canola or vegetable oil (for frying)

Directions:

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat; add the garlic and sauté until golden in color. Add the onions and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.

Add the pork and beef, and stir to break up the meat, and sauté until the meat is completely cooked and nicely browned (about 10 minutes).

Add the fish sauce and stir to combine. Stir in the wine and bring back to a gentle boil; reduce heat, cover the pot, and let simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little bit of chicken broth if the mixture gets too dry.

Turn the heat back to medium; stir in the carrot, celery, and turnip, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are almost tender. Add the cabbage and the green beans and stir until well combined. Stir in the bean sprouts, green onion, and parsley.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture into a colander set in a bowl to drain. Let the mixture cool completely before wrapping.

Have a small bowl of water at hand. Lay one wrapper on a plate with one corner closest to you (like a diamond). Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the lower middle part of the wrapper, fold the bottom part of the wrapper on the filling and roll a little bit; fold the two sides tightly over the rolled bit, and keep rolling away from you and towards the other far corner. Seal with a dab of the water.

Heat the oil in a frying pan; doing it in batches, place the eggrolls in the pan without touching each other and fry until golden brown. Serve with sweet/spicy eggroll sauce, or a vinegar/crushed-garlic/salt dip. 

Makes about 30-40 eggrolls, depending on the size of the rolls.


11 comments:

  1. Hi Mom, great post! Makes me hungry for lumpia. I have a suggestion: Make a separate blog post just focusing on how to roll lumpia, with step-by-step photos and instruction. And you can make one for lumpia and one for shanghai.
    OR, have you ever considered making a video and posting that? Like Julia Child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peej! Yes, I've been mulling about shooting a short video, but I need to muster enough nerve to do it. For some reason, a video cam makes my brain go blank! I'm sure after I make the first one the rest will come easily, one hopes! Tita Violi has been urging me to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site is truly cool and this is an awesome motivating article. Much obliged to you to such an extent tips-build-brand-name-get-new-business-part-1

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good engine for my new blogs because in this way we can generate good blogs for the community. The people should make good engine to their speedy blogs. auto maketing facebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!, this was a top quality post. In concept I’d like to publish like this as well – taking time and real effort to make a nice article… but what can I say… I keep putting it off and never seem to get something done
    currency converter box free
    best app currency converter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing.
    sales pop master free
    pop price guide app
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this info for my mission
    email marketing free , email with love online , autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the very first words that attracted me and drew my attention to your post, it was great !!!
    friv 4 school 2017 free games, friv 2018 for school, abcya club games boys

    ReplyDelete

  9. play food games
    basketball games online
    soccer games free
    I am very interested in this post, everyone should know it more, wish you success. The author of this post is admirable, it brings a lot of emotion to everyone reading it, let's share it more widely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future 2player free
    friv Games play
    jogos io online

    ReplyDelete