Tarte Tatin

10/12/11

Butternut Squash & Leeks Soup


If you're having a big crowd over for lunch or dinner, here is a healthful (no heavy cream!) soup that is not only easy to make, but can also be cooked two or three days ahead and kept in the refrigerator until you're ready to re-heat and serve it. (I served this as an appetizer to 14 dinner guests the other night.)  Prepping the squash in the microwave saves a lot of time and effort, compared to first roasting the pieces to get rid of excess moisture and concentrate its flavor. Caramelizing the squash with the leeks in the butter takes care of intensifying the flavor.
It is strongly recommended to use fresh butternut squash, rather than the store-bought pre-peeled ones which tend to be stale and flavorless. As for the broths, I always use the Swanson brand. You can use either vegetable or chicken broth, or a combination of both. You can easily adjust the consistency of the soup by adding more broth and adjusting the seasoning just before serving. [Note: the chopped parsley garnish is missing from my photo above.]
Ingredients:


3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 7-8 cups)
2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 leeks, white parts only, quartered lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed thoroughly (about 2 cups)
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
2-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Pinch cayenne pepper
Sour cream (for garnish)
Chopped parsley (for garnish)

Procedure:

Place squash in microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave on high for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until paring knife glides easily through flesh, stirring halfway through (you may need to do this in 2 to 3 batches). Carefully transfer squash to a colander set in a bowl (squash will be very hot) to drain; reserve liquid, if any.

Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add squash, leeks, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until squash pieces begin to break down and brown fond forms in the bottom of pot, about 8-10 minutes.

Add 2 cups of the vegetable broth and scrape bottom of pot to loosen and dissolve fond. Add remaining 2 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups of the chicken broth, reserved squash liquid, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and cayenne. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until leeks are fully tender, about 10 minutes.

Remove and discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs. If using a hand-held immersion blender (highly recommended), puree the soup right in the pot until very smooth. (If using a blender, puree the soup in batches, filling the jar only up to two-thirds full—be very careful as the soup will be very hot—then return the pureed soup into the pot). Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to let the soup simmer, thinning with more chicken broth to desired consistency. Season with salt and ground white pepper to taste. Spoon into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serves 10 to 12 as an appetizer.

7 comments:

  1. You know what? I really like your posts. I wander on the internet to find something new or unique. And I see your articles. I decided to linger at your site and read more and more. I hope that you can upload new posts. I will be the first one to read them. Thanks a million
    y8 games
    friv3play games
    friv5 games

    ReplyDelete
  2. scribble party games
    shell shockers games
    duck life space games
    You know what? I really like your posts. I wander on the internet to find something new or unique. And I see your articles. I decided to linger at your site and read more and more. I hope that you can upload new posts. I will be the first one to read them. Thanks a million

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author of this post is very talented, I greatly admire you, hope you will succeed in the next post.
    adam and eve golf games for girls
    pool 8 ball games to play
    offroader v6 unblocked games

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally read this and it really made me think. I will have to work hard to make my website useful and more popular. Everyone please refer to offline !!! thank you very much
    free games
    jogos 4 school

    ReplyDelete


  5. food games
    basketball free game
    soccer games play
    I accidentally read this and it really made me think. I will have to work hard to make my website useful and more popular. Everyone please refer to offline !!! thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  6. io jogos net
    friv 4 school
    2player games online
    I appreciated your work very thanks.Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family


    googy games online
    friv online Games for kids
    y8 2 player games

    ReplyDelete