Tarte Tatin

10/1/11

CHoWDC - Culinary Historians of Washington, D.C.

I am a proud member of the Culinary Historians of Washington, D.C. (CHoWDC), and I always enjoy going to the meetings, where you not only meet interesting, similar-minded foodie folks, but also learn so much from the talks and presentations given by culinary luminaries and have a great time in the group's activities. Here's a quick fact sheet on the organization (click here to check their website).

The Culinary Historians of Washington, D.C. (CHoW/DC) founded in 1996, is an informal, nonprofit, educational organization dedicated to the study of the history of foodstuffs, cuisines, and culinary customs, both historical and contemporary, from all parts of the world. 

Membership is open to scholars, cooks, food writers, nutritionists, collectors, students, and anyone interested in learning about foodways, culinary history, and gastronomy. Everyone's contribution is welcome and we benefit from a wide variety of viewpoints on culinary history. 
Programs at meetings include lectures by invited speakers, participatory sessions in which members share research on a particular subject, specialized demonstrations, field trips, and a periodic banquet designed to enrich understanding and appreciation of a particular study topic. Recent meetings have included presentations on subjects as diverse as the histories of popcorn, tomatoes, and spices; the marketing of candy in the Gilded Age; an anthropological perspective on the culinary traditions of the Chesapeake Bay; and European wrought iron cooking and fireplace utensils from the Middle Ages to the 19th century. 
CHoWLine, the organization’s newsletter, is published nine times each year to report on the organization's activities, and to keep members informed of meetings, related upcoming events, publications, films, and other pertinent information.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. I follow your news daily. We would love to hear more from you, just keep posting. Cheers.
    autoketing
    Discount master
    Discount master app

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are the flower of the flock. I often read them to relax and gain information. I'm thankful for your writing and sharing. Keep your work. I want to read more articles from you. They are so great.
    y8 games
    friv3play games
    friv5 games

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are the flower of the flock. I often read them to relax and gain information. I'm thankful for your writing and sharing. Keep your work. I want to read more articles from you. They are so great.
    scribble party games
    shell shockers games
    duck life space games

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know that there are readers loving to read your posts everyday? So please write and post more. I choose to follow your writing because they bring me what I want. They have knowledge and information. I will support you a lot. Thanks

    rise up up best online games
    game snail bob 7 fantasy story
    free red ball 5

    ReplyDelete
  5. The author of this post is very talented, I greatly admire you, hope you will succeed in the next post.
    free online games 2019
    jogos friv

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re using? I’m having some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations? io jogos net
    friv 4 school
    2player games online

    ReplyDelete