Tarte Tatin

3/26/12

CHOP Manila (Culinary Historians of the Philippines) Meeting, 26 March 2012

The Culinary Historians of the Philippines (CHOP Manila) had a successful meeting Monday, March 26, 2012, at the beautiful home of one of its founding members, Gracita.
The meeting was a lot of fun, a gaggle of girls gathered together to eat, drink, laugh and gab, and then to sit down and discuss serious CHOP business. We covered a lot of ground during the meeting, and so CHOP marches on, as Nigna would say.



The plan was to have lunch first at 12:30 pm, start the meeting at 2:00 pm, then break for merienda at some point (despite the huge lunch!), and then adjourn at 4:00 pm.


We had pica-picas first, and Gracita had laid out  crisp lavash crackers with a very delicate dulong dip. There were also crudités (carrots, turnips, celery, etc.) with a yogurt dip, as well as cheese rolls (courtesy of Rica). For drinks, we had a choice of a chilled guava juice, hot lemongrass tea, or iced water.

This was followed by a feast for lunch, with everyone bringing a dish or dessert, to complement the wonderful dishes that Gracita had prepared (photos below). Some of us had a a very lovely Swiss white wine, perfectly chilled.

 Super-fresh Pompano gently steamed in light soy sauce and herbs and spices, and crisp haricots verts with shrimp.
 Bangus (milkfish) Lumpia with a vinegar dip, and a refreshing Salad of pickled Paho (baby green mangoes, Singkamas (turnips), Grape Tomatoes, and Chives.

Nigna made her signature Pork Menudo (left), and Gracita got an all-natural ham from the weekend Salcedo Market in Makati. Nigna said we forgot to ask Gracita to pack some of the ham for us -- they would have been perfect with hot pan de sal for breakfast tomorrow!

 The table was laid out beautifully, with fresh Gumamela blossoms from Gracita's garden.
 It felt like being in a resort, as we lunched al fresco on the beautiful lanai surrounded on one side with the rolling gardens full of beautiful flowering plants and lots of trees, including more than 20 tall coconut trees. We were lucky with the weather, as there was a refreshing breeze fanning us while we ate. Ahh, this is the life!

This is my favorite Suman (rice cake) -- the Pinipig (rice oats) Suman, topped with Latik, the solids that result from simmering coconut cream for hours. I'm ashamed to admit how many of these I can gobble down in one sitting!

 We completely forgot to take Ada's potato salad (right) out from the fridge, so it ended up with the merienda items. It's never be too late for something yummy and home-made like this salad!

 Half of the cream puffs were sugar-free, but nobody wanted to touch them. Oh well, they could not compete with the yummy coconut macaroons.

Meng had brought a delicious sun-dried tomato pesto, with a big crusty baguette, but I forgot to take a photo of it (apologies to Meng)!

 Everyone's favorite!  The Brazo de Mercedes (courtesy of Nanette), which is a puffy egg-white roll stuffed with a sinfully scrumptious egg yolk cream. Heavenly.

 All in all, a productive but super-fun day for CHOP. Until our next meeting (or foodie trip soon), ladies, and let's keep on marching -- we have a lot of work ahead of us!

12 comments:

  1. Holy Moly, ladies. I want to be a Culinary Historian in my next life. If I get to eat all that delicious food for lunch and then eat all over again for merienda, please sign me up. Truly, the food looks amazing as does the hacienda. What exactly was the "work" that you had to do? That would also be interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had time to write the Minutes of the meeting, so more details will be forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello and good day ladies :)
    I am a graduate of HRM and I also took up a 6-month course in culinary.. I was just wondering how to be a Culinary Historian? do i have to take up another course in college? or do i have to take an exam or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to know more about you -- are you based in Manila? What is your real name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am from Cainta Rizal. I have a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management, after graduation I took up a 6-month Course Basic Culinary Arts. I had my OJT at Dusit Thani Manila in their kitchen, as part of their bakeshop, hot kitchen, cold kitchen, italian restaurant, and took part at their butchery. I am also NCII certified.
      My previous work I was a production assistant at a local coffee shop here in the Philippines. Basically we supply the Cakes, Cookies, Bars, Breads, etc. As of now, I work freelance part-time making made-to-order pastries, and cater to small private parties. I have been doing a lot of research and that's how I ended up reading your blog.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention My first name's Sarah

      Delete
    3. Hello, Sarah -- apologies for this much delayed reply. I have just come back from Manila after a 4-month stay, but will be there again in September. I'm happy to report that CHOP has grown by leaps and bounds -- we now have 42 enthusiastic members, and counting! I wish I had your email address, because I'm not sure if you will see this message right. But, in any case, please send me your email address so I can send you some CHOP materials. We have an event coming up on May 26 at Chef Tatung's Cafe in Taguig (Tatung is a CHOP member). Hope to hear from you soon!

      Delete
  5. Good day mam/sir! This is adrian alea from University of Santo Tomas. I am currently a 4th year student from the College of Tourism and Hospitality Management. We have a thesis/research study about the heritage food of San Juan City. In line with this, we ask you if we can interview one of the members of your association to know information about what is heritage food, the criteria for choosing the heritage food and other topics related to our study. Thank you so much mam/sir!

    And can we have your conact details? Thank you po!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things here. Most of the links are useful and provides easy way to create quality links. It obvious that for ranking a site we need good quality back links and this list helps a lot for this purpose
    Gelf
    Howdy Christmas
    Beat Racer Online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts are my cup of tea. I'm interested in your articles. I always read them everyday and wait for incoming ones. It's because your posts are interesting.
    Soccer Physics 2 games for boys || adventure drivers online games 3 player || Truck Simulator free online

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a post that we all should read at least once, it's great, wish you success in the next blog.
    free games online 2019
    friv jogos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best!
    jogos io 2019
    friv com school
    2player kids

    ReplyDelete